Points to consider for improving your interview technique.
Before getting to the interview stage: Your O’Neils Personnel consultant will screen candidates for you and present candidates as per your list of requirements set out at the beginning of the recruitment process.
At the interview: Ensure you have a printed copy of the candidate’s resume. Ideally use a private office / space where you will both be able to talk privately.
Helpful questions or openers:
Make sure you ask open-ended questions i.e. “Tell me about a time when you were under pressure and how you handled this”. It is important to get the candidates talking about themselves.
Avoid asking questions that require a “yes” or “no” response. These are “closed questions” that limit the information you will receive from a candidate.
Good examples of open-ended questions are:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What is important to you in a job?
- What parts of your job do you enjoy doing?
- What parts of your job do you not enjoy doing?
- Give me an example of your problem solving ability.
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it?
Do not hesitate to contact your O’Neils Personnel account manager for further assistance.